Friday, May 23, 2008

My Bubble/My Voice Level


The only thing so far I've noticed that I very much differ with the Parisians are space and sound issues, which I'm not surprised about.

First on space. I like my little bubble space around me. I don't like when my knees knock into other people's or when my arm rubs against theirs constantly, it irritates me more than anything. However, I've had to deal with this many a time on the metro and in line at the grocery store. I like to move about in my little bubble, but they like to be as close as possible as to not waste space. I know this is a cultural gap, but it is the biggest one for me. I'm just used to my own space.

Next is the sound issue. As many of you know, I'm quite a loud person. Parisians on the other hand, are typically quiet people. I don't mean to be loud, it just happens. I was told by some of my fellow UNCers that my voice level directly correlates with my emotions and they realize it can't be helped, but I'd really like to think I can. Not only is my voice loud, but my laugh is, too (I'm not sure that can be controlled at all). So I'm sure that always directs attention toward my American-ism, but I suppose I shall have to just deal with that one.

No comments: