Thursday, May 1, 2008

Who and Why

So as a high school Senior coming in for a preview day, I sat down in a classroom for a meeting about President's Leadership Program. I had received a few mail pieces from them, and could remember being a little hesitant about joining, but couldn't remember why as I entered the room. They were serving us free pizza and joining the program meant a scholarship, so what was to fear? Then I remembered when the words "STUDY ABROAD" came up. Mr. John Bromley, who is amazingly missed, looked out into the sea of students and said "Ok, now we are going to talk about where each of you plans to study abroad". Then it hit me, to be in the program you had to leave the country, it was a requirement. I was scared enough about leaving home, the thought of leaving the country was overwhelming. I honestly broke out into a little sweat and got nervous. I remember turning to my dad and saying "I forgot we had to study abroad". I was shaking as people around the room knew just where they wanted to go and I hadn't a clue, nor did I have a desire to go abroad.

Today I am a completely different person and I cannot wait to study abroad. I did get into PLP and studying abroad is a requirement, so that is part of the reason I am going. However, I have also gone through quite a few changes in the last year and I think this experience is just what I need. I spent the first two years of my college career planning on interning (as that is also an option with PLP, though going abroad is far favored), as I was in a relationship and didn't want to leave him behind. But, that relationship ended and I am now feeling empowered and ready to experience life. I am ready to see what the world has to offer me and am ready to grow as a person, become who I want to be. I know experiencing Paris and other cultures will help me with this.

No comments: